Has a Truck Crash Rocked Your Family?
Speak to Our Redlands Truck Accident Lawyer Immediately
The most dangerous vehicles on today's roads are large commercial trucks and tractor trailers. These behemoths can weigh over 25 times what a normal passenger vehicle weighs. This makes them hard to maneuver, control and stop. Since California is one of the nation's largest shipping hubs, you are very likely to share the road with one of these machines. If one loses control and harms your family, our Redlands truck accident lawyer is ready to help.
At Dolen, Tucker, Tierney & Abraham, our clients' needs are our top priority. We have extensive experience that helps us fight for the results our clients need. When it comes to facing trucking companies and their insurers, you can never take your claim for granted. We know the tricks these companies use to devalue your case, and we can help you overcome them.
What You Need to Know About Truck Accidents
In 2017, there were 327 fatal truck crashes in California and 6,897 truck crashes that resulted in injuries. Out of these crashes, 9,710 people suffered injuries and 367 people lost their lives. This makes California one of the most dangerous states for truck accidents in the entire country.
Other statistics you should know:
- Nationwide, 4,136 people lost their lives in truck accidents in 2018.
- Around 67 percent of these fatalities were occupants of a passenger vehicle.
- The number of truck accident related fatalities has increased 31 percent since 2009.
What Causes Truck Accidents?
Many factors can lead to a large truck collision. Here are a few of the most common causes our Redlands truck accident lawyer has found.
- Poor Training - Due to driver shortages, negligent trucking companies will rush new drivers into service. This can leave these truckers unprepared for the challenges of their job. Some companies may even neglect this critical training just to save money.
- Improper Maintenance of Trucks and Trailers - For some trucking companies, the cost of maintaining their fleet is huge. This is why some companies avoid properly maintaining their vehicles. However, this can lead to much greater costs in property damage and human lives. Trucks with unchecked brakes may not stop in an emergency situation. Tires that are not properly checked could experience a blowout, which can be far more catastrophic than a blowout on a passenger vehicle. Truck tires carry such explosive power that a passerby could suffer fatal injuries from being near a truck tire blowout.
- Poor Load Distribution - When carrying tons of cargo, the distribution of that weight is critical. Failing to tether cargo or placing too many boxes on one side of a trailer could cause tipping. If a truck falls on top of another vehicle, the resulting crash could be fatal.
- Distracted Driving - To combat the tedium of long hauls, truckers have come up with many ways to entertain themselves. Unfortunately, these methods can go too far. Taking your eyes off the road for even a moment can cause drivers to miss critical events. Worse yet, the number of distractions are increasing as technology improves. Mobile games, streaming video, social media and other distractions contributed to the 3,166 lives lost to distracted driving in 2017.
- Driving Under the Influence - Alcohol, illegal drugs and pharmaceuticals can all hamper an individual's ability to drive. In California, the use of alcohol while driving lead to 1,167 fatalities and 18,569 injuries over the course of 2017.
Who Is Responsible When Truck Accidents Occur?
Due to the dangers tractor trailers pose to the public, the trucking industry is heavily regulated. State and federal laws mandate work hours, drug and alcohol testing, maintenance intervals and more. Companies that do not follow these regulations may be liable for the damages caused by a truck crash. However, knowing which laws apply to your situation could be the key to recovering compensation. Without an experienced Redlands truck accident lawyer, you may not know which laws affect your claim.
How Can a Lawyer Help You in the Event of a Truck Crash?
At Dolen, Tucker, Tierney & Abraham, our veteran trial attorneys have the experience to help your case. We are familiar with the laws that trucking companies try to skirt and can apply that knowledge to your case. This will allow you and your family to concentrate on what is most important—healing. Do not let a negligent trucking company get away with harming your family. Call (909) 326-2769 today for a free consultation.